01 May 2010

In case you have a spare $13,500 to spend

A beautiful Mariano Fortuny gown is available on eBay at the moment:


If that's not quite in your budget, you can always peruse some lovely modern Fortuny items at the Venetia Studium online shop ( I had trouble with these sites in Google Chrome), including bags, scarves, shawls, pins 
and jewel purses.  Sadly dresses can only be purchased in the shops.  Fortuny also now has a flagship fabric store in New York, if you like to make your own creations.  


While working in the Symbolist and Nouveau period, Fortuny's designs embrace a love a craftsmanship and handwork prized by the Pre-Raphaelites.  His loose gowns, hand-dyed, hand-printed or painted fabrics and love of times past and Eastern art would have pleased any fan of Aesthetic Dress.

7 comments:

  1. I hope this ends up in a museum collection! His ornate stenciled patterns and luxurious velvets certainly work with such a simple design. I'm so drawn to the medieval quality of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too! I can easily see the princess in Braveheart in such a gown :-) I wish I had known about Fortuny when I went to Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...a fabric store. Incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, I'd be even happier if this ended up in MY closet:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jno, I'm dying to go there! Lisa, right?! Can you imagine....swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful example of Fortuny's work!

    Now I'm going to have to go visit the Fortuny fabric store next time I'm in NYC! Especially since I think Liberty's is getting rid of their fabric store in London, and where else will I go for Aesthetic fabrics? ;)

    By the way, great idea for a blog, I shall be following it closely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining us Sphinxvictorian! Oh wow, say it isn't so about Liberty! :-(

    ReplyDelete